About The Role
Safe Software is looking for a Software Developer who is interested in becoming part of one of the fastest growing data integration companies in the world! As a Software Developer II on our Desktop Authoring team, you will work on designing and developing powerful user interfaces and tools that allow our end users to visualize their data and author data flows that can be shared, reused and integrated with the rest of the platform.
About The Team
The Desktop Authoring team on our FME Desktop development group consists of software developers, a product owner, quality analyst, and co-op student interns that collaborate on complex projects with rotating duties to act as a project manager within the team. As a part of this close-knit and widely diverse team, you will work together with internal stakeholders to maintain and extend our flagship Desktop products.
What You'll Be Doing
Our FME Desktop Authoring team is responsible for continuously refining the data flow authoring experience to make our customers ever more productive. You will work with a team that focuses on FME’s core capabilities and some of your main responsibilities will include:
- Research and collaborate with stakeholders on proposals for solutions to problems
- Design UX and UIs for solutions
- Use Visual Studio to implement in C++ and the Qt implement features and fix bugs
- Write and maintain automated tests with FME, C++, Squish Qt using Python
- Review designs and code for other team members
- Use Jira to communicate on and track various types of work
- Be an active participant in regular team meetings and planning sessions.
Qualifications, Skills, and Competencies
We are seeking strong communicators with a solid understanding of object-oriented programming concepts and user interface design in addition to a passion for programming in C++. Some of the primary skills and competencies that we are looking for include:
- Ideally 2+ years of development experience with C++
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to gather information from stakeholders and leverage technical expertise to create easy to use, aesthetic, well designed and implemented user interfaces
- Dedicated to ensuring software quality through code reviews and unit testing
- Great teamwork skills - can balance working on projects independently while also collaborating with the team to solve problems
- A self-starter - able to set schedules, manage deadlines and risks to deliver on assigned projects
- Excellent planning, organizational and time management skills
- A Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or relevant work experience
As a member of our team, you will be immersed in an environment using the latest technologies to deliver future solutions. Below are some of the technologies to which you will be exposed:
- Front-end GUI development with C++ and Qt
- Back-end development with C++
- Automated GUI test development in Squish using Python
- Build and test tools: Visual Studio, SCons, Git, Squish IDE
- Toolkits: Qt, Boost, STL
- Web technologies: REST, XML, JSON, OAuth
- Databases: PostgreSQL, SQLite
- Development Platforms: Windows, Linux, OSX
- Previous UX and UI design experience
- Previous development with Qt or similar object-oriented GUI toolkit
- Previous experience with GUI test development using Squish
- Familiarity with Kanban and Agile development processes
- Experience with 2D and 3D graphics
Life At Safe
At Safe, you’ll find a community of passionate and innovative people who thrive on working together as a team to push our vision forward.
While we take our work seriously, Safe is committed to encouraging work-life balance. With extra paid time off during the holidays and plenty of lunchtime sports to join, Safers are able to stay happy and healthy year-round. All Safers have the opportunity to grow with access to a learning and development budget, give back to their community with volunteer time, and get to know each other better with annual team-building events. This way, all Safers are able to innovate, support each other, and have some fun along the way.
When you join Safe, you’ll get your own laptop along with a new hire welcome package complete with Safe swag, of course. Currently, you’ll be working remotely along with the rest of the team due to COVID-19. On your first day, you’ll receive an orientation and meet your team to get role-specific training. After that, feel free to join any virtual activities like trivia, virtual coffee chats, or team games!
About Safe Software
Safe Software is the creator and developer of FME — the data integration platform with the best support for spatial data worldwide. Over 10,000 organizations around the world use FME in industries like AEC, government, utilities, and transportation to maximize the value of their data.
Founded in 1993, Safe is headquartered in Surrey, BC with over 190 team members and counting. We’re always looking for talented individuals with diverse backgrounds who are determined to learn and grow. Are you ready to join the team?
Our Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion
Safe Software is an equal opportunity employer and we truly believe that innovation and strength begin with diversity and inclusion. We welcome all candidates regardless of race, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, ability, disability, national or ethnic origin, political belief, religion, or family status. Should you require accommodations during the recruitment process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.