About The Role
Safe Software is looking for a Software Developer, Third-Party Components to help increase our FME data integration platform’s functionality and breadth while decreasing time to market for new features. You will be collaborating with development teams to optimize the use of open source and commercial third-party components in our desktop, server, cloud-based, and mobile applications. In this role, you will have the opportunity to manage our third-party component usage to protect our source code and reputation, enable legal compliance, and reduce security vulnerabilities through issue identification and remediation.
About The Team
As the Software Developer, Third-Party Components, you will work closely with our Integrations Development team. This group delivers on creating strong partnerships with industry-leading companies through OEM products and partnerships. Composed of Software Developers and our Technical Director of Integrations, you will work together to ensure that over 600 third-party components are secure, relevant, and updated. You will have the opportunity to utilize your analytical skills and proactive problem-solving approach to research, manage and approve changes to Safe’s third-party component repository.
What You'll Be Doing
Your primary role will be to manage Safe’s use of third-party components, which includes:
- Monitoring, reviewing and approving changes to our third-party component repository on a daily basis.
- Researching, planning, and making recommendations for the use of new and existing third-party components in collaboration with Development teams.
- Proactively identifying new and existing security vulnerabilities using Black Duck and/or NIST’s NVD Database.
- Analyzing and recording threats and third-party component vulnerabilities to assess their impact to the organization.
- Spearheading the creation of a new, centralized process for managing and maintaining third-party components in collaboration with the Integrations team.
- Responding to ad hoc audit requests in a timely manner and ensuring that information is readily available and accessible to external auditors.
Qualifications, Skills, and Competencies
- A Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or a related field, or an equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- 2-3 years of relevant experience with third-party component management.
- Self-starter with a strong desire to learn new tools and the latest technologies.
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced and dynamic environment – you embrace fast-paced change!
- Ability to work independently as well as within a cross-functional team setting.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Experience with Linux, Windows, and MacOS Operating Systems.
- Experience with scripting languages, such as Python or Powershell.
- Experience facilitating audits and involvement in identifying vulnerabilities.
- Experience working with Black Duck Hub or other code scanning tools.
- Experience with programming languages, such as C++ and/or Java.
- Familiarity with common open source licenses such as MIT, BSD, Apache, LGPL, and GPL.
- Knowledge of third-party components such as Qt, Python, OpenJDK, Apache Tomcat.
- Familiarity with CVE’ s Common Vulnerability Scoring System (CVSS).
Life At Safe
At Safe, you’ll find a community of passionate and innovative people who thrive on working together as a team to push our vision forward.
While we take our work seriously, Safe is committed to encouraging work-life balance. With extra paid time off during the holidays and plenty of lunchtime sports to join, Safers are able to stay happy and healthy year-round. All Safers have the opportunity to grow with access to a learning and development budget, give back to their community with volunteer time, and get to know each other better with annual team-building events. This way, all Safers are able to innovate, support each other, and have some fun along the way.
When you join Safe, you’ll get your own laptop along with a new hire welcome package complete with Safe swag, of course. Currently, you’ll be working remotely along with the rest of the team due to COVID-19. On your first day, you’ll receive an orientation and meet your team to get role-specific training. After that, feel free to join any virtual activities like trivia, virtual coffee chats, or team games!
About Safe Software
Safe Software is the creator and developer of FME — the data integration platform with the best support for spatial data worldwide. Over 10,000 organizations around the world use FME in industries like AEC, government, utilities, and transportation to maximize the value of their data.
Founded in 1993, Safe is headquartered in Surrey, BC with over 190 team members and counting. We’re always looking for talented individuals with diverse backgrounds who are determined to learn and grow. Are you ready to join the team?
Our Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion
Safe Software is an equal opportunity employer and we truly believe that innovation and strength begin with diversity and inclusion. We welcome all candidates regardless of race, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, ability, disability, national or ethnic origin, political belief, religion, or family status. Should you require accommodations during the recruitment process, please contact email@example.com.