About The Role
Safe Software is looking for a Software Developer who is interested in becoming part of one of the fastest growing data integration companies in the world! As Safe Software transitions the FME product platform beyond the transitional geographical information systems (GIS) market, we are looking for a Python Software Developer to help us create Python components to enable our customers to connect to the cloud.
About The Team
The Connectors team on our FME Cloud development group is a close-knit team comprised of software developers (Ruby, Python), a product owner, and a quality analyst who work together in a low-stress environment to deliver high-quality components. Our Connectors team works closely with the Cloud Applications development group to automate the deployment and testing of connectors up to the public FME Hub, where thousands of users download the items for use in their workflows.
What You'll Be Doing
As a Python Software Developer, you will have the opportunity to:
- Create new connectors in Python to enable our customers to connect to SaaS services (e.g. Sharepoint), cloud services (e.g. Azure, AWS), and real-time data feeds (e.g. Kafka).
- Maintain and improve the existing catalogue of connectors built on top of APIs and rapidly changing libraries - You play a crucial role in ensuring that the functionalities of our connectors are running smoothly and efficiently.
- Provide continuous feedback on the deployment process so it is as frictionless as possible when launched to the public and our customers - You will help pioneer this process as Safe shifts away from the traditional development model to a new and much more agile one.
Qualifications, Skills, and Competencies
We are seeking strong communicators with a solid understanding of object-oriented programming concepts and passion for programming in Python. Some of the primary skills and competencies that we are looking for include:
- 1+ years of experience developing in Python, with a good working knowledge of automated testing approaches, version control, creating Python packages, and use of third-party libraries
- Experience making effective use of concurrency in Python
- Experience in web technologies, including REST, XML, JSON
- Experience with development platforms, including Windows, Linux, macOS
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Eager to learn new technologies and tools to build on your repertoire of technical skills
- Great teamwork skills - can balance working on projects independently while also collaborating with the team to solve problems
- A self-starter – you are able to set schedules, manage deadlines and risks to deliver on assigned projects
- Excellent planning, organizational and time management skills
- A Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or related industry experience
- Knowledge of code compatibility across Python versions
- Comfortable in PyCharm
- Experience using Requests, Black, Boto, Six, PyTest, Tox, Pip, Git
- Experience with Protocol Buffers
- Knowledge of Cloud Computing platforms (Amazon Web Services (AWS), Microsoft Azure, Google Cloud) and of using their Python SDKs
- Experience with Kanban or other agile methodologies
- Familiarity with Atlassian products (Jira and Confluence)
- Experience using Jenkins and Docker, or similar CI/CD and containerization strategies
About Safe Software
Safe Software was founded in Vancouver, BC in 1993 by two people and a dream to unleash the power of data. From this vision, FME (Feature Manipulation Engine) was born. FME is the integration platform with the best support for spatial data and the tool that organizations can employ to transform their data in limitless ways. Our software allows anyone to move and share their data to create useful workflows in a simple drag-and-drop format. Whatever the type of data - be it sensors, maps, building models, imagery, databases, social media, web services, and more - FME is up for the task.
Now, with over 150 staff and a new, modern office facility, Safe Software is looking for talented people to join our growing team! Are you up for the challenge?
Life At Safe
Safe Software is full of passionate and innovative people who thrive on working together as a team to deliver state-of-the-art technology to our customers. We take our work seriously, but have fun doing it.
On your first day at Safe, you'll receive a new hire orientation with our Human Resources team, tour our facilities and visit our lounge, games room, fitness centre, bike room, and kitchen (with free beverages) - before ending at your own private office. You'll then get your choice between PC or Mac, meet your team, and help take Safe to new heights!
Join us as we build the data integration technology that tens of thousands of customers depend on.