About The Role
Safe Software is looking for enthusiastic Quality Analysts to join our Product Development team! As a Quality Analyst, you'll play an important role in ensuring that the FME product platform meets our standard of excellence for all of our customers.
This position has the opportunity to be hybrid or remotely based in Canada. Please note that employment is contingent upon the successful completion of reference checks and background checks.
About The Team
Quality Analysts are embedded directly within each of our Product Development teams, meaning that you’ll work directly with Software Developers, Technical Team Leads, as well as your QA peers across other Development groups. As a Quality Analyst, you will ensure that quality is ingrained into the entire software development process when creating new features for FME. Our team values your input and QA expertise. Right from the start, you’ll dive into Agile development meetings and receive training from the team.
What You'll Be Doing
Software is only truly powerful when it works. You will ensure that happens by wading into complex systems to test and identify problems before they can impact our customers, and troubleshoot any issues that manage to sneak through. You will contribute to the team by:
- Testing our expanding core technology. Our software supports hundreds of web services and data courses, and the list is growing. At Safe, the challenges and the learning never stops as you will be exposed to an ever wider range of technologies. Examples include databases, GIS, cloud platforms like Amazon Web Services (AWS) and Microsoft Azure.
- Investigating complex problems. When technology is pushed to its limits, there will inevitably be problems whether that’s compatibility across operating systems, handling international characters, or some other mystery. At Safe, we rely heavily on automated testing for the mundane work, giving you time to investigate new and challenging scenarios.
- Guiding product development. We’re unique as our QA team doesn’t just scrutinize problems, but also contributes to product direction and development. Every major development project includes a member of the QA team whose role is to provide input on quality right from the outset.
You will play a central role in ensuring that the quality of our FME product line exceeds the expectations of our customers. Day to day, you may find yourself doing the following:
- Working as part of the Development team to go through the entire development cycle, using Scrum or Kanban.
- Testing exciting new features in the latest beta software.
- Writing detailed, comprehensive and well-structured test plans and test cases.
- Create automated tests or help developing testsuite frameworks.
- Contributing to feature development meetings with a valuable quality perspective.
- Creating clear and concise defect reports and enhancement requests.
- Providing input on user experience, including performance, to product development.
- Setting up test environments with leading-edge technology, like AWS, Docker, Kubernetes, ArcGIS Online, etc.
- Participating in Quality team meetings to share ideas, learn new concepts, discuss problems and brainstorm solutions.
- Exploring new technical areas: containerization, web services, databases, etc.
- Participating in various cross-team events like Innovation Daze and Testsuite Evolution.
Qualifications, Skills, and Competencies
Safe Software will evaluate applicants based on their passion and skill for software testing. That said, we’re paying special attention to the following:
- 1-2 Years of previous experience working on in a testing role or have relevant industry experience
- A degree or diploma in Computer Science or Computer Engineering or related field
- A curiosity for technology - you are excited to experiment with the newest systems and techniques
- You are a critical thinker with a curious mind and a love for problem solving
- You are a self-motivated and proactive team player with a passion for helping others
- Familiarity with scripting languages such as Python and/or Bash
- Thoroughness in your approach and a high attention for detail
- Working knowledge and/or previous experience using FME
- Experience in an Agile development environment (Scrum and/or Kanban)
- Experience with test automation and performance testing
- Experience with Squish Web or QT
- Understanding of Geographic Information Systems (GIS)
- Experience with GIS products (Esri ArcGIS, MapInfo, Intergraph GeoMedia, etc.)
- Experience with CAD/BIM applications (AutoCAD, Bentley MicroStation, Revit etc.)
- Experience using Business Intelligence tools (Tableau, Qlik, etc.)
- Ability to speak a second language
Base Salary: $57K - $72K per year
Life At Safe
At Safe, you’ll find a community of passionate and innovative people who thrive on working together as a team to push our vision forward.
While we take our work seriously, Safe is committed to encouraging work-life balance. With extra paid time off during the holidays and plenty of lunchtime sports to join, Safers are able to stay happy and healthy year-round. All Safers have the opportunity to grow with access to a learning and development budget, give back to their community with volunteer time, and get to know each other better with annual team-building events. This way, all Safers are able to innovate, support each other, and have some fun along the way.
When you join Safe, you’ll get your own laptop along with a new hire welcome package complete with Safe swag, of course. Currently, you’ll be working remotely along with the rest of the team due to COVID-19. On your first day, you’ll receive an orientation and meet your team to get role-specific training. After that, feel free to join any virtual activities like trivia, virtual coffee chats, or team games!
About Safe Software
Safe Software is the creator and developer of FME — the data integration platform with the best support for spatial data worldwide. Over 10,000 organizations around the world use FME in industries like AEC, government, utilities, and transportation to maximize the value of their data.
Founded in 1993, Safe is headquartered in Surrey, BC with over 190 team members and counting. We’re always looking for talented individuals with diverse backgrounds who are determined to learn and grow. Are you ready to join the team?
Our Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion
Safe Software is an equal opportunity employer and we truly believe that innovation and strength begin with diversity and inclusion. We welcome all candidates regardless of race, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, ability, disability, national or ethnic origin, political belief, religion, or family status. Should you require accommodations during the recruitment process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.