About The Role
Safe Software is looking for a talented Quality Analyst who is interested in becoming part of one of the fastest growing data integration companies in the world! As a Quality Analyst, you'll play an important role in ensuring that the full FME product line meets our standard of excellence and quality for all of our customers. The Quality Team works closely with our Development teams to ensure that quality is ingrained into the software development process when creating new features for FME. Our team values the input of our Quality staff and wants to hear your expertise surrounding software quality assurance and your user experience.
What You'll Be Doing
Software is only truly powerful when it, well… works! You ensure that happens by wading into complex systems to test and identify problems before they can impact our customers, and to troubleshoot any issues that manage to sneak through.
Successful candidates will become a part of our Quality Assurance team. The Quality Team works closely to discuss and brainstorm with one another, while concurrently working within one to two Development teams to learn and develop technical expertise with a specific area of our product FME. Members of that team have a variety of tasks, are exposed to a plethora of technology, and contribute by:
- Testing our expanding core technology. Our software supports hundreds of web services and data courses, and the list is growing. At Safe, the challenges and the learning never stops as you will be exposed to an ever wider range of technologies. Examples include Amazon Web Services (AWS) and Microsoft Azure.
- Investigating complex problems. When technology is pushed to its limits, there will inevitably be problems whether that’s compatibility across operating systems, handling international characters, or some other mystery. At Safe, we rely heavily on automated testing for the mundane work, giving you time to investigate new and challenging scenarios.
- Guiding product development. We’re unique as our QA team doesn’t just scrutinize problems, but also contributes to product direction and development. Every major development project includes a member of the QA team whose role is to provide input on quality right from the outset.
As Quality Analysts, we play a central role in ensuring that the quality of our FME product line exceeds the expectations of our customers. Our Quality Analysts are in constant collaboration with the other teams at Safe involved in producing FME: Development, DevOps, and Release. Quality Analysts also provide background support for our FME Technical Support Specialists. Day to day, you may find yourself doing the following:
- Working as part of development team to go through the entire development cycle, using Scrum or Kanban
- Testing exciting new features in the latest beta software
- Writing detailed, comprehensive and well-structured test plans and test cases
- Create automated tests or help developing testsuite framework
- Contributing to feature development meetings with a valuable quality perspective
- Creating clear and concise defect reports and enhancement requests
- Providing input on user experience, including performance, to product development
- Setting up test environments with leading-edge technology, like AWS, Docker, Kubernetes, etc.
- Participating in Quality team meetings to share ideas, learn new concepts, discuss problems and brainstorm solutions
- Exploring new technical areas: containerization, web services, databases, etc.
- Participating in various cross-team events like Innovation Daze and Testsuite Evolution
Qualifications, Skills, and Competencies
Safe Software will evaluate applicants based on their passion and skill for software testing. That said, we’re paying special attention to the following:
- You have 2+ years experience working on in a testing role or have relevant industry experience
- You are passionate about technology and are always excited to experiment with the newest systems and techniques
- You are a critical thinker with a curious mind and a love for problem solving
- You are self-motivated, proactive, and a team player with a passion for helping others
- You are familiar with scripting languages such as Python and/or Bash
- You are thorough with a strong attention to detail
Candidates must be able to legally work in Canada. Some international travel may be required.
- A degree in Computer Science or Computer Engineering is an asset
- A working knowledge of Safe Software’s FME
- Experience in an Agile development environment
- Experience with test automation and performance testing
- Experience with Squish Web or/and QT
- Understanding of Geographic Information Systems (GIS)
- Experience with GIS products (Esri ArcGIS, MapInfo, Intergraph GeoMedia, etc.)
- Experience with CAD/BIM applications (AutoCAD, Bentley MicroStation, Revit etc.)
- Experience using Business Intelligence tools (Tableau, Qlik, etc.)
- Ability to speak a second language
About Safe Software
Safe Software was founded in Vancouver, BC in 1993 by two people and a dream to unleash the power of data. From this vision, FME (Feature Manipulation Engine) was born. FME is the integration platform with the best support for spatial data and the tool that organizations can employ to transform their data in limitless ways. Our software allows anyone to move and share their data to create useful workflows in a simple drag-and-drop format. Whatever the type of data - be it sensors, maps, building models, imagery, databases, social media, web services, and more - FME is up for the task.
Now, with over 150 staff and a new, modern office facility, Safe Software is looking for talented people to join our growing team! Are you up for the challenge?
Life At Safe
Safe Software is full of passionate and innovative people who thrive on working together as a team to deliver state-of-the-art technology to our customers. We take our work seriously, but have fun doing it.
On your first day at Safe, you'll receive a new hire orientation with our Human Resources team, tour our facilities and visit our lounge, games room, fitness centre, bike room, and kitchen (with free beverages) - before ending at your own private office. You'll then get your choice between PC or Mac, meet your team, and help take Safe to new heights!
Join us as we build the data integration technology that tens of thousands of customers depend on.