About The Role
Safe Software is looking for a talented Product Owner who is interested in becoming part of one of the fastest growing data integration companies in the world! As a Product Owner, you represent the voice of the customer, champion enhancement requests, and prioritize our customers’ needs in the future releases of FME.
In this role, you possess a fundamental understanding of end-to-end customer experience and understand the importance of communication in product management. You will work with our Development, Customer Success, Product Marketing, and Customer Engagement teams to identify, collect and evaluate new technology, product ideas, and strategic product extensions to address the growing needs of our customers.
What You'll Be Doing
As the Product Owner for our Database and CAD/BIM Development team, you will be the center of product management and facilitation to encourage dialogue between key stakeholders, both internal and external, to guide the FME product roadmap. Most notably, you’ll be staying on top of industry trends, understanding and advocating for evolving customer workflows, defining and shaping work for the development team, and guiding the triage of incoming requests and issues.
The Product Management team is comprised of Product Owners who are embedded within our Development teams to collaborate and identify opportunities and new features to be added to our FME products. This is a growing discipline at Safe, where you will have the opportunity to contribute to our evolving product management processes with the other Product Owners.
In this role, you will have the opportunity to:
- Collaborate and communicate with key stakeholders – The key to the success of the role is establishing rapport, alignment, and buy-in from internal stakeholders (Development and QA, Customer Success, Customer Engagement, Marketing, Co-Founders) and external stakeholders (our customers and partners) against Safe’s overall business objectives. As a facilitator in this process, you will engage in continuous feedback circles to identify epics and user stories to be developed and integrated into FME by participating in an Agile environment.
- Evaluate and communicate the FME product roadmap and direction – As a feedback hub, you will analyze customer feedback from our support, community, and partner networks, alongside input from our product stakeholders to ensure that FME meets the needs of users of today and tomorrow. You will communicate the most important ideas to pursue based on short-term and long-term business objectives.
- Develop and maintain a backlog of user stories for implementation – You will develop detailed specifications of new product capabilities and features to determine the most efficient use of development resources. With involvement from QA, Experts and Marketing, you will ensure that these specifications are clearly understood across all teams. No matter how large or small the user story, your role as Product Owner is to identify the value of each story based on the input and feedback from all stakeholders and help prioritize accordingly.
- Extend product reach – Together with the Product Marketing group, determine adjacent markets that allow for the expansion of FME’s footprint in new markets. You will assist with research and analyze the market, customers, and product roadmap to determine Safe’s competitive standing in the industry.
- Keep abreast with Agile, Scrum, and Kanban best practices and trends - As the Agile development process continues to evolve at Safe, you will stay on top of the best practices in Agile/Kanban environments and provide feedback on how Safe can improve.
Qualifications, Skills, and Competencies
We are looking for people who have passion and skill for product management. Your application will also grab our attention if you have:
- 2+ years of experience in Product Management or Product Ownership (in the high tech industry)
- Working knowledge of Agile concepts (Scrum, Kanban)
- Excellent organization and time management skills
- Strong attention to detail
- Ability to communicate effectively (verbal and written) with various stakeholders and build consensus across the organization (Development, Marketing, Executive, etc.), balancing market needs with the resources available
- An open mind, focused on creative, simple and robust software solutions
- Sharp analytical and problem solving skills with a strong customer focus
- A good understanding of the FME product and user base is an asset
- Previous Scrum Master or Product Owner training (KMP I and/or KMP II) is an asset
- Previous hands-on technical experience in GIS is an asset
About Safe Software
Safe Software was founded in Vancouver, BC in 1993 by two people and a dream to unleash the power of data. From this vision, FME (Feature Manipulation Engine) was born. FME is the integration platform with the best support for spatial data and the tool that organizations can employ to transform their data in limitless ways. Our software allows anyone to move and share their data to create useful workflows in a simple drag-and-drop format. Whatever the type of data - be it sensors, maps, building models, imagery, databases, social media, web services, and more - FME is up for the task.
Now, with over 150 staff and a new, modern office facility, Safe Software is looking for talented people to join our growing team! Are you up for the challenge?
Life At Safe
Safe Software is full of passionate and innovative people who thrive on working together as a team to deliver state-of-the-art technology to our customers. We take our work seriously, but have fun doing it.
On your first day at Safe, you'll receive a new hire orientation with our Human Resources team, tour our facilities and visit our lounge, games room, fitness centre, bike room, and kitchen (with free beverages) - before ending at your own private office. You'll then get your choice between PC or Mac, meet your team, and help take Safe to new heights!
Join us as we build the data integration technology that tens of thousands of customers depend on.