About The Role
Safe Software is looking for an Intermediate Technical Writer to join our Technical Publications help authoring team.
For this role, we are looking for an individual with a geographical information systems (GIS) or software development background. In this role, you will be involved in the documentation that integrates with our products, helping Safe Software create a consistent look and tone across our technical product content. In accordance with existing style and terminology guidelines, responsibilities will include writing, editing, researching, and data gathering, as well as resolving internal support tickets.
This role can be a fully remote position based within Canada. The Technical Publications team consists of both remote and (when staff members are cleared to return to the office) in-office staff members.
About The Team
Our Technical Publications team consists of our Technical Publications Manager, Technical Writers, and Content Developers. We create, organize, and improve content to contribute to the development of FME, our innovative data integration platform. Our goal is to continually strive for technical accuracy, completeness, and discoverability.
What You'll Be Doing
As an Intermediate Technical Writer, you will have the opportunity to focus on the following areas:
- Update existing product documentation to match a user interface rebuild. This will also involve researching and writing new topics where necessary.
- Restructure existing topics to fit into newly defined templates.
- Take a high-profile role in a quick-reference initiative for all of our supported formats. This will involve working with other Technical Publications team members to research layout, create a standard template, communicate with development teams to gather data, and revise existing content to match new templates.
Qualifications, Skills, and Competencies
- You have:
- 3+ years of experience in a software development environment as a technical editor or help developer/author.
- Experience with an HTML-based help authoring tool, ideally MadCap Flare.
- A demonstrated ability to quickly learn new technologies.
- An understanding of localization best practices.
- An understanding of, or experience with, Kanban workflows used by software and product teams.
- Proficiency in a Windows environment.
- Knowledge of the principles of effective content management (and single sourcing techniques in particular).
- Diploma or degree in Technical Communication or equivalent.
- You are:
- Highly organized and able to balance priorities.
- Able to succeed in a remote, collaborative work environment.
- Able to plan and coordinate work in a multi-author environment.
- You share our corporate values, and work in accordance with those values.
- You can adhere to existing terminology and style standards.
- You have excellent English grammar skills, but you also understand that sacrificing the perfect paragraph can sometimes increase efficiency.
- Ideally, you also have experience with version control (we use Git and SourceTree); CSS; and collaboration tools such as Confluence and Google docs.
Life At Safe
At Safe, you’ll find a community of passionate and innovative people who thrive on working together as a team to push our vision forward.
While we take our work seriously, Safe is committed to encouraging work-life balance. With extra paid time off during the holidays and plenty of lunchtime sports to join, Safers are able to stay happy and healthy year-round. All Safers have the opportunity to grow with access to a learning and development budget, give back to their community with volunteer time, and get to know each other better with annual team-building events. This way, all Safers are able to innovate, support each other, and have some fun along the way.
When you join Safe, you’ll get your own laptop along with a new hire welcome package complete with Safe swag, of course. Currently, you’ll be working remotely along with the rest of the team due to COVID-19. On your first day, you’ll receive an orientation and meet your team to get role-specific training. After that, feel free to join any virtual activities like trivia, virtual coffee chats, or team games!
About Safe Software
Safe Software is the creator and developer of FME — the data integration platform with the best support for spatial data worldwide. Over 10,000 organizations around the world use FME in industries like AEC, government, utilities, and transportation to maximize the value of their data.
Founded in 1993, Safe is headquartered in Surrey, BC with over 190 team members and counting. We’re always looking for talented individuals with diverse backgrounds who are determined to learn and grow. Are you ready to join the team?
Our Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion
Safe Software is an equal opportunity employer and we truly believe that innovation and strength begin with diversity and inclusion. We welcome all candidates regardless of race, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, ability, disability, national or ethnic origin, political belief, religion, or family status. Should you require accommodations during the recruitment process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.