About The Role
Safe Software is looking for a Software Developer who is interested in becoming part of one of the fastest growing data integration companies in the world! As a C++ Software Developer on our Desktop Authoring team, you will work on designing and developing powerful user interfaces and tools that allow our end users to author visualize their data and author data flows that can be shared, reused and integrated with the rest of the platform.
About The Team
The Desktop Authoring team on our FME Desktop development group is comprised of software developers, a product owner, quality analyst, and co-op student interns that collaborate on complex projects with rotating duties to act as a project manager within the team. As a part of this close-knit and widely diverse team, you will work together with internal stakeholders to maintain and extend our flagship Desktop products.
What You'll Be Doing
Our FME Desktop Authoring team is responsible for continuously refining the data flow authoring experience to make our customers ever more productive. You will work with a team that focuses on FME’s core capabilities and some of your main responsibilities will include:
- Designing and implementing features for our flagship Workbench and Data Inspector applications
- Extending and maintaining our core authoring infrastructure
- Collaborating with stakeholders to deliver solutions to a variety of challenging problems
Qualifications, Skills, and Competencies
We are seeking strong communicators with a solid understanding of object-oriented programming concepts and user interface design in addition to a passion for programming in C++. Some of the primary skills and competencies that we are looking for include:
- Ideally 2+ years of development experience with C++
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to gather information from stakeholders and leverage technical expertise to create easy to use, aesthetic, well designed and implemented user interfaces
- Dedicated to ensuring software quality through code reviews and unit testing
- Great teamwork skills - can balance working on projects independently while also collaborating with the team to solve problems
- A self-starter - able to set schedules, manage deadlines and risks to deliver on assigned projects
- Excellent planning, organizational and time management skills
- A Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or relevant work experience
As a member of our team, you will be immersed in an environment using the latest technologies to deliver future solutions. Below are some of the technologies to which you will be exposed:
- Front-end GUI development with C++ and Qt
- Back-end development with C++
- Automated GUI test development in Squish using Python
- Build and test tools: Visual Studio, SCons, Git, Squish IDE
- Toolkits: Qt, Boost, STL
- Web technologies: REST, XML, JSON, OAuth
- Databases: PostgreSQL, SQLite
- Development Platforms: Windows, Linux, OSX
- Previous UX and UI design experience
- Previous development with Qt or similar object-oriented GUI toolkit
- Previous experience with GUI test development using Squish
- Familiarity with Kanban and Agile development processes
- Experience with 2D and 3D graphics
About Safe Software
Safe Software was founded in Vancouver, BC in 1993 by two people and a dream to unleash the power of data. From this vision, FME (Feature Manipulation Engine) was born. FME is the integration platform with the best support for spatial data and the tool that organizations can employ to transform their data in limitless ways. Our software allows anyone to move and share their data to create useful workflows in a simple drag-and-drop format. Whatever the type of data - be it sensors, maps, building models, imagery, databases, social media, web services, and more - FME is up for the task.
Now, with over 150 staff and a new, modern office facility, Safe Software is looking for talented people to join our growing team! Are you up for the challenge?
Life At Safe
Safe Software is full of passionate and innovative people who thrive on working together as a team to deliver state-of-the-art technology to our customers. We take our work seriously, but have fun doing it.
On your first day at Safe, you'll receive a new hire orientation with our Human Resources team, tour our facilities and visit our lounge, games room, fitness centre, bike room, and kitchen (with free beverages) - before ending at your own private office. You'll then get your choice between PC or Mac, meet your team, and help take Safe to new heights!
Join us as we build the data integration technology that tens of thousands of customers depend on.