About The Role
Safe Software is looking for a fun-loving, talented Backend Software Developer who is interested in becoming part of one of the fastest growing data integration companies in the world! As a Backend Software Developer, you will help design, develop and maintain back-end services for new features on FME Server, in addition to supporting related active running processes.
About The Team
The FME Server team consists of both front-end and back-end developers, a UI/UX designer, a product owner, quality analysts and co-op student interns that collaborate on a wide variety of exciting and innovative projects. The team works in an Agile environment and works closely together to find the best possible solutions to challenging problems.
What You'll Be Doing
As a Backend Software Developer, you will have the opportunity to:
- Participate in the development of new functionalities by designing and developing reliable, performant and scalable back-end services and APIs.
- Participate in every aspect of the development cycle, including refining specifications with the Product Manager, developing clean and maintainable code, writing unit tests, doing code reviews, and maintaining and improving existing code.
- Collaborate, support and share expertise with other team members.
- Investigate, evaluate the impact and resolve anomalies and bugs in live applications.
- Maintain and continuously improve the applications architecture and infrastructure to achieve high availability and low latency.
Qualifications, Skills, and Competencies
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or equivalent.
- 3+ years of experience in a related role is an asset.
- Strong understanding and proficiency in using Java.
- Knowledge of Spring Framework is an asset.
- Strong understanding of data structures, object-oriented programming concepts, design patterns and distributed systems.
- Understanding of engineering for the web: client/server architecture, REST, and modern best practices. Experience using Tomcat Java application server is an asset.
- Understanding of high-availability, monitoring, and reporting.
- Experience with microservices, containerized applications, Docker/Kubernetes, cloud technologies is an asset
- Experience in writing automated tests (unit, integration) with Junit and Mockito, and strive to always do so.
- Self-motivated and able to work independently.
- Strong willingness to learn and the ability to adapt well to change.
- Strong communication and teamwork skills.
- Ability to collaborate with others, share ideas, and exchange meaningful feedback with colleagues.
Life At Safe
At Safe, you’ll find a community of passionate and innovative people who thrive on working together as a team to push our vision forward.
While we take our work seriously, Safe is committed to encouraging work-life balance. With extra paid time off during the holidays and plenty of lunchtime sports to join, Safers are able to stay happy and healthy year-round. All Safers have the opportunity to grow with access to a learning and development budget, give back to their community with volunteer time, and get to know each other better with annual team-building events. This way, all Safers are able to innovate, support each other, and have some fun along the way.
When you join Safe, you’ll get your own laptop along with a new hire welcome package complete with Safe swag, of course. Currently, you’ll be working remotely along with the rest of the team due to COVID-19. On your first day, you’ll receive an orientation and meet your team to get role-specific training. After that, feel free to join any virtual activities like trivia, virtual coffee chats, or team games!
About Safe Software
Safe Software is the creator and developer of FME — the data integration platform with the best support for spatial data worldwide. Over 10,000 organizations around the world use FME in industries like AEC, government, utilities, and transportation to maximize the value of their data.
Founded in 1993, Safe is headquartered in Surrey, BC with over 190 team members and counting. We’re always looking for talented individuals with diverse backgrounds who are determined to learn and grow. Are you ready to join the team?
Our Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion
Safe Software is an equal opportunity employer and we truly believe that innovation and strength begin with diversity and inclusion. We welcome all candidates regardless of race, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, ability, disability, national or ethnic origin, political belief, religion, or family status. Should you require accommodations during the recruitment process, please contact email@example.com.