FME 2006 New Features
FME 2006 represents one of our best value for users releases to date—we incorporated over 1000 user–requested enhancements!
FME 2006 represents one of our best value for users releases to date—we incorporated over 1000 user–requested enhancements! We've added eleven new formats, including Google EarthTM KML and GML 3.1.1, and updated many others. We also focused significant development effort on raster formats: six of the new formats are raster preview formats. In addition, FME now supports Oracle® GeoRaster which allows raster images to be loaded into Oracle® Database 10gR2. FME 2006 includes many significant refinements to Workbench which will result in more efficient workflows—not just within an organization, but also where FME functionality is shared between organizations. Three great new features included in FME 2006 are Custom Transformers, Shared Directories, and Published Parameters. Custom Transformers allow users to package transformation workflows into their own custom-made transformer, then save the Custom Transformer for use in other workspaces or for sharing with colleagues, both within and outside an organization. Shared Directories make FME much more workgroup-friendly by allowing users within an organization to easily share Custom Formats, Custom Transformers and custom coordinate systems. Published Parameters enable workspace authors to specify the parameters that are exposed to workspace users, including the name of those parameters, and the prompt that is presented to the user. This makes workspaces much easier to run on different input data, both within workbench and when deployed in a batch environment.
FME 2006 Highlights
- New Vector Formats
- Vector Format Updates
- New Raster Formats
- Raster Format Updates
- New Transformers
- Transformer Updates
- New Raster Transformers
- FME Core
- Coordinate Systems
- FME Data Server for GeoMedia
- FME ® Edit for GeoMedia
- FME Data Provider for MapGuide
- FME Extension for ArcGIS
- FME Objects
- Custom Transformers can be saved to your transformer gallery for use in multiple workspaces; Custom Transformers can also be shared with other users through Shared Directories, or e-mailed to other users from within Workbench.
- The Shared Directories feature allows Custom Transformers, Custom Formats and coordinate systems to be read from user-defined directories (including network shares) through Tools -> Options ->Shared Directories. This option is especially useful for groups who work together. For instance, if an entire workgroup uses just a few custom coordinate system definitions, keeping these definitions in one place means that everyone doesn't need to keep a copy. Whenever any of the definitions are updated, the entire group automatically has access to the new version.
- The Publish Parameter feature allows you to set many parameters to the value of one parameter. When you want to change the value of all parameters, you only have to change the value once. By publishing parameters, you can be prompted for any information that might change when the workspace is run. All published parameters are also shown in the log file as they would appear on the command line. This allows for simpler migration of workspaces to a command-based environment.
- Many workspace-related settings have been added, or moved from the menu bar to a new Workspace Settings node in the Navigator pane. Including them here makes them more visible and easy to edit.
New Vector Formats
- GML 3.1.1 Reading and Writing - Powerful support for the latest GML specification.
- KML Writing - FME can now produce Google EarthTM KML.
- NAS Reading - German AAA GML exchange format.
- EDIGEO Reading - French exchange format.
- MS SQL Server Database (Attributes Only) - Can now create almost all MS SQL Server column types. Write to tables with IDENTITY and TIMESTAMP columns.
Vector Format Updates
- Intergraph® GeoMedia®
- Access and SQL Server warehouse reader/writer now works with GeoMedia v6.0.
- Ordnance Survey® OS MasterMap® reading - Updated to Version 6.
- PostGIS 1.x/PostgreSQL 8.x - Improved COPY, generic geometry columns, improved table listing, schema search path support, improved table name qualification and user interface, XYM measure support, upgraded WKB (bytea) support.
- MySQL® 5.x support including view reading.
- IGDS (MicroStation® DGN)
- Can now write features with ByLevel symbology.
- The following database formats now support reading from tables having special characters (e.g spaces) in their
® DB2 Universal DatabaseTM(Attributes Only)
- Microsoft® Office Access (Attributes Only)
- Microsoft® Excel
- (Attributes Only)
- ODBC3.x Database (Attributes Only)
- Oracle® 10g/9i/8i/8 Database (Attributes Only)
- ESRI® ArcGIS® Map Reader - Can now read tables.
- ESRI® ArcSDE® Reader - Added the ability to read GUID fields.
- ESRI® ArcGIS® Geodatabase
- Reader: Improved reading of complex edges so that we can now read all the network connectivity info from them.
- New reader mode to take advantage of Rich Geometry Core.
- Writer: Can now perform updates using user-selected fields as the key rather than the object id field.
- Writer will now handle either old or Rich Geometry input.
- BC MoF Electronic Submission Format - RESULTS - Updated to Version 4, Rev. 11.
New Raster Formats
- ENVI header (raw) and ESRI® header (raw) - These header files store the georeferencing information of an associated raw raster file.
- ERDAS IMAGINE® (writer) - Provides supports for the ERDAS IMAGINE® file format.
- JPEG - Initial support for the orginal Joint Photographic Experts Group standardized image compression mechanism. There is currently no support for georeferencing information or metadata for JPEG files.
- ColorRAW - accepts multiple bands of continuous color data such as greyscale, RGB, GBR, and RGBA.
- NumericRAW - accepts one band of continuous numeric data.
- LineSmoother - Smooths line geometry using the McMaster Algorithm.
- AreaSmoother - Smooths an area's border lines using the McMaster Algorithm.
- KMLStyler - Used to either set the attributes of features that have a KML Style feature type, or to set the common style attributes for a group of features.
- CoordinateSystemFetcher - Retrieves the coordinate system of a feature into an attribute.
Raster Format Updates
- ESRI® ArcSDE® Reader - Search envelope processing.
- ASRP - Uses LL84 as default coordinate system.
- AIRCOM ENTERPRISE - Handles clutter data.
- GeoTIFF - Improved nodata value handling.
- PLANET - Improved reader speed; can now read parts of datasets instead of requiring complete datasets.
- Oracle® GeoRaster Writer - Coordinate systems, continuous numeric, BIL interleaving, classified color, true grey scale, compression, pyramiding.
- Z-MAP (ASCII) - Many improvements; can now read DEM grids.
- Joiner, ValueMapper, SchemaMapper - Transformers will will now work with tables having special characters(e.g. spaces) in their names.
- CenterLineReplacer - Now uses a much more robust algorithm and can handle a wider variety of input shapes, including donuts.
- Bufferer - Now has a much more efficient method of handling group-by and aggregate buffering. A test dataset runs nearly 400x faster.
- PolygonBuilder - Now logs a percent complete to show its progress.
- 2DGridReplacer - Now handles group-by.
- Clipper - Now will clip Rasters
- Tiler - Now will tile Rasters
New Raster Transformers
- RasterColorModelCoercer - Converts between different color models, and can 'split' color models into constituent bands.
- RasterDataTypeCoercer - Converts between different bit depths.
- UniformRasterClassifier & VariableRasterClassifier - Classifies a raster into discrete value ranges, either uniform or non-uniform.
- RasterConvolver - Performs image convolution on a raster (only blur is implemented at the moment).
- RasterSegmenter - Performs image segmentation on a raster.
- AddedFME_BEGIN_PYTHON and FME_END_PYTHON.
- Rich Geometry Model implemented throughout the core.
- Added measure support to the Rich Geometry Model. Measures can now be stored properly on arcs when using the Rich Geometry.
- AggregateFactory - Can now calculate sum, average, and weighted (by area) average of attributes, just like thePolygonDissolveFactory does.
- ClippingFactory - Clips rasters to the bounding box of the clipper and now allows ellipse clippers.
- Improved logging in SnappingFactory, ReferenceFactory, ListFactory, ArcFactory, AggregateFactory, OverlayFactory, and DonutFactory.
- @ConvertToLine - Now has options MEDIAL_AXIS and SKELETON, which employ a new algorithm to calculate the "Angular Bisector Network" of input area features.
- @Angle - Now supports the source format of DDDMMSS.SSO (where O is the orientation: one of N, E, W, S), e.g. 324312.62N for 32 degrees, 43 minutes, 12.62 seconds North.
- @Buffer - Now dramatically faster when buffering aggregates.
- @RasterClassification - Classifies a raster into discrete value ranges, either uniform or non-uniform.
- @RasterColorModelConversion - Converts between different color models, and can 'split' color models into constituent bands.
- @RasterDataTypeConversion - Converts between different numeric data types.
- @RasterSegment - Performs image segmentation on a raster.
- @RasterBlur - Applies a fast blur to a raster.
- Spanish ED50<->ETRF89 - Datum shift via grid file now supported.
- Swedish RT90<->SWEREF99 - Supported via transverse mercator reprojection method.
- French IGN and NTF systems - Vastly improved support.
- MapInfo coordinate systems - Output with MapInfo precisions more consistently, resulting in better name matching.
FME Data Server for GeoMedia
- GeoMedia 6 now supported.
FME ArcSDE Edit for GeoMedia
- GeoMedia 6 now supported.
FME Data Provider for MapGuide
- Fixed ArcSDE memory leak.
- Fixed dataset parameter for FME connection dialog for ArcSDE over SQL Server.
- Fixed crash on some W2K systems.
- Added support for many more coordinate systems.
- Added support to handle intermittent network outages.
FME Extension for ArcGIS
- GML 3 support.
- KML support.
- No longer automatically associates format file extensions with FME applications.
- Streamlined installation process.
- Support for rich geometries (tech preview).
- Support for raster geometries (tech preview).